Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Carousel Note Tote Tutorial

You can click on any of the photos to see a larger view.


Here we go! I finally got it done! I just put together the first one and didn't write down any measurements. It wasn't until I made the second one did I realize I actually scored the envelope at 1 inch instead of the 1.5 I originally said. You can score the envelope at any size, but if you'd like a 4 1/4 size card to fit inside, you need to score at 1 inch or less.

Here are the things you need to make a Carousel Note Tote!

Carousel Notes
Jumbo Eyelets
Cropadile
Scor-pal (or other scoring method)
2- 10 inch pieces of Ribbon
Clear Button
Pretties Kit (for the flower) Cuttlebug (for this flower)
Designer Paper (Afternoon Tea)
Crafter's Tool Kit
Scor-Tape
Pencil
Adhesive.

Step One: Lick envelope closed, then score one inch on three sides of your envelope.

We are making a bagalope with the envelope that comes in the Carousel Notes. You can score at any measurement to make your back as big or little as you want, but you have to score the same on all three sides.






Step Two:


Place the score line that is opposite of the side without a score on the 3.5 inch mark on your cutter. Cut the remaining portion off your envelope.

You will be cutting off the end with no score.









Step Three:


Start with the sides and work your bag open making sure that you end up with little tabs at the bottom.








Step Four:


Bend the tabs in to form your bag. Then bend them back out and fold the center fold of the bottom out and make a little slit with your scissors.

Fold the center flat again, then insert the corners of the flaps inside your little slit. This holds those flaps down. You can use adhesive if you want, but I've found that this method keeps your box nice and secure.


Whooo Hooo! Your bag part is done! Your bag should look like this:












Step Five:


Put your bagalope aside and grab one of your Carousel notes. Make a score line so that seven scallops are on one side of your score line. If you have a Scor-Pal, just line then up in one of the grooves.

Repeat this step on another matching Carousel Note.



Step Six:



Place your note from the score line up and trace around it on your designer paper. Do this for both pieces.

Cut on the lines.









Step Seven:

Decorate your designer paper. I added a middle strip of brown designer paper that I cut 1 x 6. I glued it on, then trimmed the edges around the scallop. I then sewed the edges and added some ribbon. I took the biggest flower from the Pretties Kit, inked one side of my Swiss Dots Embossing folder (the smooth side of the folder) with Groovy Guava Classic ink (with my brayer) and then ran the entire flower through my Cuttlebug. I LOVE how this turned out. Then I punched out a piece of matching designer paper with my 3/4 inch circle punch, added some Crystal Effects and a clear button on top. I used some thread to tie in the center and attached it with glue dots. I used small pieces of scotch tape to keep the ribbon in place.

After you are done making your fronts pretty, glue them on to your scored Carousel Notes.


Step Eight:


Take the plastic template from the Crafter's Tool Kit and mark circles for your handles.

Use the Crop-a-dile punch the holes and add the Jumbo eyelets



Step Nine:

Run your ribbon through the front of your covers. I used scotch tape for the tutorial, but I just realized that I had some Scor-Tape that would have worked MUCH better (and would have been much stronger....duh). I like the Scor-Tape because it is so thin and not bulky, but totally strong. I will be using it (now that I remember I have some) for my next purses.


Step Ten:


Attach your decorated fronts to your bagalope making sure that the scored part is tucked and glued to the bottom of your bagalope

Repeat for the other side and your purse is ready to fill and tote away!

If you make a tote, I'd love to see it, please feel free to share a link in the comment section. I can't wait to see your version!


There ya go! My Carousel Note Tote. Hope the tutorial was easy to follow. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for being patient.... I know it took me awhile to get er done! Have a great day!


27 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute project. Thanks so much for making a tutorial. I'm off to make one now.

Marja Sch said...

What a wonderful project. Thanks for the toturial.

Heather McNally and Melissa MacDonald said...

Absolutely fantastic! GREAT toot, Cami!!!!! I am so looking forward to trying this!

Alex said...

This is totaly adorable and I am sooo making one today! Can't wait to show you! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

marcie said...

Awesome! Can't wait to try one. TFS.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you Cami for your awesome tutorial.
Here is my tote made without your tutorial, but CASING your 1st tote. I have four 4 1/4" sq. flap cards in my tote :-)
My tote:http://splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/864497?cat=500&ppuser=18672

Anonymous said...

Here's my little tote

http://danniesdesigns.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/04/carousel-notes.html

Thanks again for the great tutorial!

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic idea. I can wait to make one. Thank you for sharing you're talent. Gail

Anonymous said...

The project is so cute and I would love to make them for my nurses for Nurse's Day. The problem is; where do you find carousel notes?
Sorry to be so dumb about this.
Jackie B.

Memories of Time said...

You can get the Carousel Notes out of the Occasions Mini from Stampin'Up! :)

Thanks girls!!

Dawn Easton said...

Fabulous project! Excellent tutorial!!!

Sunflower Stamper said...

Thank you!!! It looked much more tricky by just the picture. I hope to be making some this weekend!

Karen said...

ohhhhhhh I am just so green with envy!!!

I wanna make some and we dont have them here in Australia!!!

FANTASTIC TUTORIAL cami!!

Karen
xo

jean said...

I just love this purse. great job
TFS

Jean

Stefanie Staniak said...

You are incredible - Thanks Sweetie for this wonderful toot !!

Darce Roberts said...

CUTE CUTE CUTE! I'm gonna give this a try this weekend! Oh, and GREAT idea running your little flower through your Cuttlebug! Where do you come up with this stuff??? :)

Theresa Momber said...

I love this. Thanks so much for the tut.

Tracy said...

SHUT UP!!! Inking your CB folder??? I love it!!!

suthnheart said...

giiiirl! YOU ARE DA BOMB! i love that little tote! :)

mwah!
marcia

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, this is the cutest thing EVER!!! I love the patterned papers on it, fabulous! And that flower...dang, you are a genius! Have a GREAT weekend! :D

MJ said...

Cambria, thanks so much for the tutorial, it is such a fun project, I will be trying it out as soon as I get my order! You rock which is why I have nominated you with the Arte Y Pico award you can read about it here...

http://technostamper.blogspot.com/2008/04/award-and-more-monday-sketch-challenge.html

Susan said...

Great tutorial! Lovely idea for a gift.

Anonymous said...

Great idea and wonderful tutorial! I am going to try one this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Oh, WOW! That is *super* cute, Cams! LOVE it! Thanks so much for sharing this fabby toot! You ROCK!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cambria! I made a post-it box with scor-pal ... I'd like if you can pass in my blog and tell me how it seems to you.

Thanks!
Giulia

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

I thought this was such a fun project, I needed to make one. No carousel notes, so I improvised:

http://lacyquilter.blogspot.com/2008/08/card-tote.html

Chelle said...

What a fab little project! Thanks so much for sharing!